Saturday, October 2, 2010

There's a hero in the second grade.

Originally written May 9, 2010

He's eight, that's true, but he can do what few grown men have the courage to do. There is no gray in my son's color palate of right and wrong. There is no, just ignore what they're doing so you won't get hurt. There is no, get someone else to take care of the problem, when he could do it himself. He steps up, when others step back. He takes the punch so another doesn't have to.

He saw today's recess as, "I didn't get to play in the soccer game." But as he elaborates, I learn he didn't get to play because his cousin had no one to play with, so he left the soccer game to be with him. He describes his walk home as, "That boy pushed me down." When in his retelling I see that he was pushed down as he tried to stop the boy from harming another child.

The mother in me wants him to hide in the shadows a bit more, so there's less tearful afternoons, and less pushes and shoves. But can I really; should I try to restrain his passion for what is right?

In ages past, in bible stories and history books there are men like my son. Men who did what was right, no matter the cost. Heros to those they defended. Examples to the ones hiding in the shadows. How can I stop him, when etched on his very soul is the glimmer of greatness? I can't. So for now, I'll ice the black eyes and hug away the "lonely" recesses and call claim to the hero in the second grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment