Monday, March 28, 2011

Jane's Neck

If you look back at my "Sicko" entry you'll see that we had no clue that Jane's neck was as bad as it really is. 

She started fever 8 days ago, and developed a serious neck kink after one the second day. The third day we took her to an instacare.  They said it appeared to be nothing more than a kink in her neck.  We took her home.  She didn't improve.  Gave her a blessing.  The fever lowered for a few days, but nothing else improved.

On Saturday I noticed that her lower lip was sticking out oddly... like she had bit it an it was swollen.  Then Sunday after church she woke with a swollen left eye.  I nearly talked myself out of taking her to the instacare (the whole.. am I over reacting?  Maybe it only looks swollen to me bit), but kept having this driving feeling that something wasn't right.  Took her into a different instacare because the previous one closed at 5:00 pm on Sundays.

The doctor there was very concerned.  She was running a fever of 101.7 and it seemed to him that her tonsil on the left side might have an abscess on it.  Her transferred us to the Children's Hospital in Austin.

By the time they saw Jane, her fever had spiked to over 103.  Jane was remarkable.  A perfect angel getting her IV and cat scan.  From the scan they found that one her left lymph nodes had a very large abscess on it (the largest they had ever seen) and needed to be drained because it was threatening to close off her airway.

Surgery was set for 9:00 am this morning.  By 3:00 am Jane's left eye was nearly swollen shut and she was sick of being poked and examined (5 people doing the same exact thing 10 minutes apart from each other.... okay... maybe Mike and I were a little tired and cranky too  (we didn't have time to eat dinner before this all started) which made it that much MORE frustrating, but PLEASE.. how many people need to look in the ears and shove a wooden stick down the throat of a girl that the cat scan already told us what was wrong with?

She slept horribly (which of course meant I did too).  Was probably in pain and I didn't recognize that's what it was.  There were hours upon hours of unconsolable screaming and pleads of "I hungry.  I water.  I go home" (she wasn't allowed to eat or drink before the surgery and had close to nothing to eat the day we brought her in).

Woke to surgery prep with 2 1/2 hours sleep under our belt.  The doctor said the a huge pocket of pus oozed  out followed by a large amount of other pus and fluid (uhh...gag).  She now will have a one inch scar on her neck, but MAN is she doing better.  Recovery was a bit rough until we got her to eat, but she is now (finally) napping, with her neck oozing into the banage wrapped around it.

We are just so happen we took her in (and so sad that we tried stretching her neck during the week to loosen the "kink").  Ughh.

Bless a wonderful sister in our ward for sleeping on our couch last night, while we were at the hospital picking up our house, making us dinner tonight and trying her darndest to get Mike to let her walk our kids.  The world needs more Colettes.

Jane is doing well.  Doctors and nurses here LOVE her red hair.  Are there not many red heads in Texas??? I'll attached some pics later on.

Love you all!

8 comments:

  1. We love our Jane....and SO glad that you were finally able to find out what was going on. What a weird set of symptoms! I am grateful you have a Colette as well...good friends are a comfort to a mom and "nana" so far way. Hugs from a distance. Our love to all of you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you guys. Poor girl. I have to say, seeing your baby with tubes in them, laying in a hospital bed and crying out in pain is one of the worst things to experience as a Mom. I hated every minute of Ian's visit, so I can only imagine your feelings. Love you guys and I am grateful all of you are finally getting some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What an experience. When I read the previous post a few days ago I was afraid it might be spinal meningitis (stiff neck). SO glad it's not. You are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How traumatic for all of you! I'm so glad you took her in and got it taken care of. Who knew that could even happen? I hate times like that where I didn't know my kids were as sick as they were and maybe force fed them dinner when they had the stomach flu.

    How many times have all of us moms taken our kids when they really weren't sick and then we second guess ourselves about going in when it is serious?

    Hang in there. I'm so glad you have good people there to help take care of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give Jane hugs for us. We love her, we love all of you. Keep smiling. There is always light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man... my typing wasn't entirely coherent :)

    Update: After only getting a total of 5 hours sleeping in two days (when Jane usually sleeps around 14 hours PER day). Jane slept through the night!!! 7 hours! That's darn remarkable. It's all thanks to night nurse who didn't turn on the light every hour she came in. Heard Jane likes white noise and hunted down a white noise machine. Bless that woman!

    We also learned morphine turns Jane into a vicious BEAST (no exageration here). Sticking to the Tylenol with codine from here on out.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary! I'm glad thing have turned out alright now. We wish Jane (and you) a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? No pictures? :)
    We get stopped on a regular basis by strangers telling Whitney how beautiful her "red" hair is. I've thought the same thing--is there a shortage of red heads in Texas?

    ReplyDelete