Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wildflowers? In Austin?

When we moved here people raved about the wildflowers.  Just wait til spring, they'd say. All the bluebells and wildflowers, it's beautiful! Then spring came, and some tiny 6 inch bluebells began to sprout here and there in random fields. Giving the color pop that dandelions do on a weedy lawn.

I wasn't impressed.

I thought to myself, are these Texans so starved for beautiful landscape that they really think these are something special? I settled on that. Texans are a little dillusioned, after all (did I just make up a word?).

Then this winter came. Wet and wonderful, unlike last year. And with that moisture came a very different spring.  Bluebells and the miles and miles of beautiful yellow wildflowers lining the free way and every open field in sight.

Okay.  I get it. It is pretty.



3 comments:

  1. Did you take these pictures? If not, then I am not impressed as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, but I only posted ones that look just like what I see. The yellow along the freeway and fields is even more impressive then these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Reminds me a little of the fields of Tulips in Marysville (or wherever the tulip fields were in Washington) Glad you got some rain, it was certainly dry when we were there!

    ReplyDelete