Friday, January 6, 2012

Sweet Tooth Heaven.

My mom makes fantastic candy.  Especially her brittle and toffee.  I have never been able to master it.  She is very good knowing what stage the candy is at based on the "cold water test" (drop a little in cold water and depending on how it solidifies, she can tell if it is soft ball, soft crack, hard crack, etc.).  I never could tell... not really.

This last visit I had an AH-HA! moment and decided to write down the temperatures on the candy thermometer for the different steps (I know.  Duh, huh?).  That was all it took!

I have since made peanut brittle and english toffee both on my own and both were delicious!  Now my Mom won't be forced to make a double batch for me every time we visit. :)



5 comments:

  1. So...like...you know you can buy candy thermometers that have the stages in it already so you know what is what? ;) These pictures are making me hungry. We didn't do toffee and brittle this year. Sad day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll mail you some. Ha. We'll see if that happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am VERY proud of you! It looks NUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make a second batch brittle, much better than the first (cooked it just a smidge longer). YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please post something new. I'm not trying to tell you that you haven't posted recently or kept up with your blog (after all, the last time I posted to my blog was...hmm, did I post in 2011?). It's just that every time I go to your blog, my mouth waters and I am full of toffee/brittle envy!

    ReplyDelete